How does it work?
It’s an easy 2 step procedure that does not require any surgical skills. No scalpel, no anesthesia (numbing cream recommended), no downtime = happy patients!
the pre-loaded needle at subdermal level.
the needle; The Resorbable PDO thread is now in place.
Polydioxanone is used for biomedical applications, particularly in cardiothoracic surgery because it is fully absorbed by hydrolysis within 4 to 6 months and doesn’t create any scar tissue. The foreign body stimulates collagen synthesis and the skin structure created will hold for another 12 to 15 months.
The bad reputation of the Threads that were used in the past was due to the fact it wasn’t re-absorbable. Using PDO solves that problem.
Best Procedure For Neck & Jawline
Although PDO Threads can be inserted almost anywhere, one area where they are especially effective is the neck and jawline. The lower third of the face is challenging to treat effectively with botulinum toxin or injectable fillers, which are most effective in the upper and middle third of the face, respectively.
Restoring The V-shape
A beautiful and healthy face has a “V-shape”. With the ageing of tissues and the action of gravity, this “V-shape” diminishes or inverts.
The idea behind the Nova-Mesh and the Nova-Lyft technique is to either create a scaffolding in order to support the tissues and keep them in the “V-shape” or where necessary to delicately lift the tissues and reposition the skin to recreate the “V-shape” where it’s been lost.
There are 2 types of PDO Threads Techniques
Nova-Mesh consists of creating a mesh under the skin using the Smooth or Twist PDO Threads, usually 5 threads per area, inserted in 2 or 3 directions, creating a “Net” or “Hashtag” underneath the skin. The Nova-Mesh technique relies on the action of the needle & the reaction to the foreign body to stimulate new collagen.
The Nova-Mesh technique allows to greatly improve the appearance of at least 3 high-demand areas: Lips, Neck and Cheeks.
The EZ-Lip Fill, EZ-Neck Mesh, EZ-Cheek Mesh with are 3 quick, simple and efficient procedures:
- The EZ-Lip Fill technique consists of a very simple lip enhancement procedure using Smooth PDO Threads (for a slight enhancement) & Twist PDO Threads (for a little more volume). Most of the time no anesthesia will be needed although at times a numbing cream can be used if necessary. With NovaThreads there are no worries about injecting equivalent quantities like you would with a filler, as the result are always symmetric. The procedure itself will last 5 minutes and the results last about 3 months.
- The EZ-Neck Mesh technique consists of placing a net of 5 to 10 Smooth PDO Threads for the reduction of submental sagging, chin lines and the correction of the “turkey neck” or 10 to 15 Smooth PDO Threads in lower and lateral neck area to smoothen and equalize that area. Currently there is no alternative procedure of that type and it can be done combined with botulinum toxin to relax the platysmal cords & erase the horizontal wrinkles. The duration of the procedure does not exceed 5 to 15 minutes.
- The EZ-Cheek Mesh technique consists of creating a network of threads in the cheek on a more superficial layer & to enhance the results (volume) of deeper dermal filler injections. 5 to 10 Smooth PDO Threads should be placed on each side. The procedure also lasts 5 to 10 minutes and is very easy to perform with no need for anesthesia and no post-procedure bruising. It is also useful to create texture when the skin is very thin and not “ready” for the EZ-Cheek Lift
Nova-Lyft uses the barbed threads – barb1 (Unidirectional) & barb2 (Bidirectional). Those barbs or cogs provide an extra grip that allows for a real lift of the skin.
The Nova-Lyft procedure consists of creating a real “skin repositioning” or tightening depending on the kind of barb Novathreads used and the area of treatment.
barb1 (Unidirectional) & barb2 (Bidirectional) are used in the jaw line and the cheek, belly and buttocks in association with the smooth threads following a ratio of 1 to 4 or 5.
- EZ-Jaw Lift: The unidirectional barbed threads (barb1) are creating a lifting effect after taking position within the skin & after the massage following the removal of the needle. This lifting/repositioning effect is always taking place in a upwards fashion, in the direction of the needle entry point.
- EZ-Cheek lift: The bidirectional barbed threads (barb2) are used to reposition/accumulate the skin towards the middle of the area treated or to spread the skin toward the ends on the threads. The removal of the needle creates a temporary tunnel allowing the barbs to move. The shrinking vs. spreading effect is generated by the massage of the skin which instantaneously positions the barb.
- EZ-Neck lift: Specific areas for bidirectional threads (barb2) are the submental zone, where it is used to spread the skin towards the 2 threads’ exit points, and in the cleavage, when wrinkles due to breast augmentation or ageing are present.
The placement of either the unidirectional barbed threads (barb1) or The bidirectional barbed threads (barb2) is simple and fast (a few minutes per thread) but does require more skills than for the Smooth PDO Threads or Twist PDO Threads due to the bigger gauge of the needle used and the deeper layer of insertion of the threads.
MEET OUR FACULTY
I attended November training for Nova-Mesh and Nova-Lyft directed by Dr Karimi. The whole experience was outstanding. The training facility well equipped and the instruction superb. Dr Karimi did a thorough job of educating me on the science behind PDO thread placement, safety considerations as well as the range of indications and proper technique. I highly recommend PDO threads and training by Dr Karimi to any advanced injector who wants to expand treatment options for their clients.
I had the privilege of attending a Hands-On training session with Dr. Kian Karimi. I found the course to be very worthwhile.
Dr. Karimi is an excellent clinician and covered the didactic portion efficiently so that more time was devoted to treating patients. A comprehensive review of how to evaluate both male and female faces, and application of PDO threads in combination with dermal fillers was covered. I was able to immediately incorporate into my practice the techniques learned and found Dr. Karimi very responsive to post instruction questions that arose. I highly recommend this course with Dr. Karimi for clinicians who want to provide more sophisticated treatment protocols to their patients.